Nominations open today for the Board of Directors of the ELCA Youth Ministry Network. Two seats on the board will become available when the next term begins. Those terms don’t begin until February 3, 2014, a long time from now. So why are we already opening up the nomination process for terms that don’t begin for 10.5 months?
Because good leadership matters.
The Network occupies an important place in the life of the church, and this is an important time in the life of the Network. Good, progressive, forward-thinking leadership is needed as we live into our strategic plan. And finding good leadership is a process that needs to happen thoughtfully…deliberately. The board of directors serves as the organization’s governing body, providing primary direction and leadership of the organization as it achieves its mission.
Specifically, the board of directors:
- guides the vision and strategic planning of the network,
- implements plans for the organization’s future,
- directs the work of the executive director,
- dictates policies to ensure efficient operations,
- monitors the organization’s finances,
- assists in financial resource development (fundraising), and
- assesses the organization’s overall performance.
- The board’s work is further described in ELCA Youth Ministry Network Bylaws and GoverningPolicy of the ELCA Youth Ministry Network (Sections 1 and 2).
While serving on the board of directors, members are expected to:
- be members of the Network,
- be active in their own ELCA community,
- care for their own spiritual life,
- view their role on the board as their primary volunteer priority,
- actively engage each other in discussions and decision making, and
- attend all board meetings and the Extravaganza. Complete expectations of board members are detailed in Governing Policy of the ELCA Youth Ministry Network (Section 3).
So do you feel gifted in these areas? Do you know someone that you think can lead well? Do you know someone who has demonstrated good leadership within the community of the Network, or their synod, or their congregation?
Take some time. Think. Pray. And then nominate. We are excited for the future of the Network. And we know that this future lies in the hands of the Holy Spirit who so clearly blows through this community.
Help us find good leaders.